The minutes of the 2011 AGM follow and are posted on the web site as well:
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Members of The Canadian Society for Bioengineering/Société Canadienne de Génie Agroalimentaire et de Bioingénierie
Held 2011 07 11 Monday 12 00 to 14 00 CDT (Winnipeg time) in the Ballrooms, Inn at the Forks Hotel.
Call to order (President Prasher)
Greetings and introductions
Participants list attached
CHAIRMAN AND SECRETARY OF THE MEETING
Upon motion made (Hodgkinson) and duly seconded (Townsend), it was unanimously resolved to appoint President Prasher and Ali Madani as chairman and secretary of the meeting, respectively. Approved.
NOTICE OF MEETING
The Notice of Meeting requirement (14 days) was met.
QUORUM (Twenty-five members including at least 5 officers of Council)
The quorum requirements were met.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING, 2010 06 14
Upon motion made (Sir Ranjan) and duly seconded (Townsend), it was unanimously resolved to accept the minutes as distributed. Approved.
ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Upon motion made (Hodgkinson) and duly seconded (Godbout) the agenda was approved. Approved.
A mass E-Mail was sent to the CSBE-SCGAB Membership asking for input regarding the relationship with the AIC. No clear direction was given by the members. The 2011-2012 Council should discuss this issue.
SUMMARY ANNUAL REPORTS
President Prasher reported that:
- The CSBE-SCGAB Secretary position was filled.
- The 2012 CSBE-SCGAB AGM will be held in Barrie, Ontario. It will be a joint meeting with the NABEC.
- The 2013 CSBE-SCGAB AGM is tentatively scheduled for western Canada, probably in Saskatoon.
- CSBE-SCGAB is co-sponsoring the EIC meeting in Montreal in 2013.
- The 2014 CSBE-SCGAB AGM will be held in Montreal. It will be a joint meeting with the ASABE.
- President Elect is Dr. Qiang Zhang of the University of Manitoba.
An Annual Report document was distributed. (See written reports as distributed and/or published in Perspectives Newsletter, Spring 2011). The 2010 audit and financial report will be posted to the web site.
The Budget for 2012 was included in the Annual Reports handout material on hand. Upon motion made (MacDonald) and duly seconded (Clark) the budget for 2012 was approved.
Appointment of Auditor for 2011. Upon motion made (Townsend) and duly seconded (Sir Ranjan), it was unanimously resolved to reappoint Thornton & Co. as auditors for 2011. Approved.
Upon motion made (Sir Ranjan) and duly seconded (Mann) the mailing address of the Society was changed from CSBE/SCGAB, PO Box 23101 RPO McGillivray, Winnipeg MB R3T 5S3 to CSBE/SCGAB Society, 2028 Calico Crescent, Orleans ON K4A 4L7.
President Prasher, thanking all participants at the AGM, called for adjournment at 3:00 CDT Upon motion made (Hodgkinson) and duly seconded (Predicala), it was unanimously resolved to adjourn. Approved.
Minutes recorded by Ali Madani, Secretary
NOTICE OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF The Canadian Society for Bioengineering/Société Canadienne de Génie Agroalimentaire et de Bioingénierie
Date: Monday July 16, 2012
Time: 12:00 to 13:30 with lunch
Place: Orillia, Ontario
- Greetings and attendance sign up
- Call to order (President, CSBE)
- Appointment of Chair and Secretary for meeting
- Additions to the Agenda
- Approval of the AgendaApproval of minutes of previous meeting
- Summary of Annual Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
- Appointment of Auditor for 2011
I encourage you as a Society member to actively participate in the CSBE/SCGAB to ensure its continued growth and vitality. Please contact me if I can provide you with issues related to the Society. I am listing the complete formal duties of the Secretary-Manager of the Society:
- Serve as the office liaison with affiliate societies;
- Report election results to Council and the annual business meeting;
- File an annual summary with the Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs Canada;
- Preserve all documents of the Society except those assigned to other officers or committees;
- Carry out general secretarial duties including keeping of committee lists, bringing appropriate documents to meetings and correspondence;
- Record the minutes of Council meetings and the annual business meeting and distribute the minutes to Council members within one month of the meeting;
- Provide committee chairs with a list of their committee members and any necessary papers and instructions;
- Carry on correspondence for the Society;
- Serve as the office liaison with ASABE office;
- Report to Council and the Annual Business Meeting on election results;
- Receive reports from all committee chairs;
- Publish the PNL only, no written contributions expected;
- Pay Society expenses;
- Arrange for preparation of auditors report for AGM;
- Receive all By-law changes but not responsible for making the changes;
- Publish and supply in quantity the Awards Booklet to the AGM;
- Publish the CBEJ (Canadian Biosystems Engineering Journal) when finalized by the Editor;
- Deliver the CBEJ and invoice the authors for page charges;
- Serve as Secretary-Treasurer for the CSBE/SCGAB Foundation.
As you are aware, CSBE-SCGAB Society and CSBE-SCGAB FOUNDATION offer several awards every year. Please see below for more information. Applicants must be a student member of the Society.
The Foundation will pay the membership dues for first-time-ever Graduate Students. An application form (www.bioeng.ca) should be completed by the graduate student and submitted by a faculty member attesting to first-time-ever status.
THE CSBE/SCGAB Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship
The CSBE/SCGAB Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship is to recognize academic excellence among student members of the Society. The Scholarship can be awarded each year to the student member of the
Society with the highest GPA in the preceding semester (based on a minimum of 12 credit hours and the GPA must qualify the recipient to appear on the Dean’s Honor List). The Department Head or his/her designate will select one scholarship recipient per year per department.
Student Team Competition Funding Program
CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Thesis Award
The CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Thesis Award is to recognize excellence in undergraduate student research in fields represented by the Society. Each eligible university will identify their recipient of the Award. These names will be sent for recognition at the annual banquet.
CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Design Project Award
The CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Design Project Award is to recognize excellence in the development of engineering design skills in solving problems related to biological systems. Individual or team projects are eligible. Each eligible university will identify their recipient of the Award.
CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (M.Sc. Category)
The CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (M.Sc. Category) is to recognize excellence in graduate student research in fields represented by the Society. The award will be presented in odd-numbered years in recognition of M.Sc. Theses.
CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (Ph.D. Category)
The CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (Ph.D. Category) is to recognize excellence in graduate student research in fields represented by the Society. The award will be presented in even-numbered years in recognition of Ph.D. Theses.
Full details for these awards are described in a separate document that is listed on the web site at www.bioeng.ca.
Download Perspectives Newsletter Spring 2012 edition to see full 2011 Financial Statements