In 2012-2013, there were a lot of changes on the CSBE-SCGAB website. The main objectives of these changes were to give to members, and future members as well, a better browsing experience regardless of which device was used, to make information more accessible, and to improve security with an up-to-date management system. The website was totally revamped during last fall and launched in January 2013.
During the 2012 Annual Meeting, the Council approved the motion to change our domain name to improve relevancy and search engine optimization (SEO). The new domain name adopted was www.csbe-scgab.ca, which is also the official acronym for the Society. The previous domain bioeng.ca will remain active and act as a forwarder. The hosting also changed for a better performing one.
Major changes at-a-glance:
- The home page was revamped to show the latest information in a shorter page, including a dynamic slideshow.
- A special section named “What is Bioengineering” was created to showcase our profession. Texts are excerpts from ASABE Resources Magazine Nov/Dec 2012 issue and many pictures showing bioengineering applications come from CSBE-SCGAB members.
- The CSBE hosted online community is not maintained anymore. We invite people to get connected through our Facebook and LinkedIn groups. Note that user accounts on the old website were disabled and sensitive information has been withdrawn from our database.
- Our publications directory hosts more than 800 peer-reviewed Journal papers and 1700 conference papers. The SEO has been improved to get higher exposure on search engines, especially on Google. We work continuously to improve the exposure of Journal papers.
- A new event registration interface has been implemented to provide a better user experience and security.
- Communication with members is vital for a Society like ours. A newsletter system has been configured to keep you up-to-date about Society activities.
I will be in Saskatoon next July for the CSBE technical conference, so if you want to discuss how the website can serve members, it would be a pleasure to meet you!