The Local Arrangements Committee (LAC) continues with plans for the upcoming joint conference in Winnipeg (August 6-10th). In excess of 160 abstracts have been submitted so we are looking forward to excellent technical content. There will be a good mix of oral presentations and posters covering a wide diversity of topics that should be of interest to members of both CSBE/SCGAB and CIGR. Special sessions have been organized by CIGR members on the topics of “functional foods, nutrition and the consumer” and “safety of traditional and non-traditional sources of protein”. In addition to these technical presentations, the LAC has arranged approximately a dozen keynote and invited speakers to provide general-interest morning sessions for conference delegates. Speakers include a combination of industry leaders, government officials, and university researchers. Keynote/invited speakers will speak on the topic of “biomaterials (or fibre)” on Monday morning, “food” on Tuesday morning, and “innovation” on Wednesday morning.
Confirmed presentation topics include:
- Innovation in bio-fibre and bio-products
- Initiatives of the Composites Innovation Centre in the area of bio-fibre and bio-composites
- Food to health continuum and changing trends in how the public views food and food processing
- Future opportunities and risk in food processing: focus on pork
- Emerging opportunities in the Canadian food industry
- Biomass to bioenergy processes: a utilities perspective
- Ecological engineering at world’s only whole-ecosystem freshwater research facility
- Innovation in sensing and control in post-harvest storage systems
- Trends in agriculture – an equipment manufacturer’s point of view
A workshop entitled “Teaching and Learning with Technology” is planned for Sunday afternoon, with tours of several University of Manitoba facilities planned for Thursday morning (Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals, Canadian Wheat Board Centre for Grain Storage Research, Alternative Village, Manitoba Institute for Materials). A Reverse Career Fair will be planned to enable excellent networking opportunities for student members. Watch the conference website for details of the technical program as they become available (www.csbe-scgab.ca/winnipeg2017).
Online registration opens on April 1st with early bird registration rates in effect until June 15th.